This is hands down, The Best Enchilada Sauce Recipe ever. Once you try this, you’ll never buy canned again! If you love enchiladas as much as I do, then making homemade enchilada sauce from scratch is a must. You may be familiar with if you’ve made my chicken enchiladas. I make this so often, I thought it deserved it’s own post rather than linking to my enchilada recipe every time I use this sauce in a recipe.
A reader recently commented that using this homemade enchilada sauce made all the difference in their dish, and I agree. I have never cared for any of the canned sauces, so I usually whip up a big batch and freeze what I don’t use for future meals. Trust me, you will be making this sauce again and again!
Other than making enchiladas, here’s a few more ways I like to use enchilada sauce:
- Poach your eggs in them for a Enchilada Shakshuka
- Pour some over turkey meatloaf for a Mexi-loaf
- Pour some in the slow cooker or Instant Pot and add some chicken to make a flavorful, Mexican inspired shredded chicken dish.
- Make Poblano Stuffed Peppers (pictured above) recipe coming soon!
- Use them with these Chicken Enchilada Roll-ups! The possibilities are endless, if you have ideas please share!
The Best Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups canned tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, chopped (to taste)
- 1 tsp Mexican hot chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil and garlic; sauté until golden, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, chipotle chiles, hot chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 7-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use. Makes 4 cups
Yield: 16 servings, Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 0
- Points +:
- Calories: 20
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Sodium: 121mg
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 1g